The Technical University of Košice and its Faculty of Mechanical Engineering completed the jubilee 65 years since its foundation in the 2016/2017 school year. It subscribes to the historical legacy of the Mining Academy in Banská Štiavnica and thus to the approaching 254th anniversary of its founding by the decision of Maria Theresa of 13 December 1762. To abolish the academy, which was renamed the University of Mining and Forestry from 1904/1905, occurred in 1919. Only on the basis of Act no. 170 Sb. from. on June 25, 1937, the Technical University of Dr. M. R. Štefánik in Košice. Its first rector was prof. Juraj Hronec (4.8.1938). The tragic events after the Vienna arbitration forced the evacuation of the school first to Prešov and later to Martin. On July 25, 1939, Act no. 108 Sb. from. established Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava as a successor to the University of Technology Dr. M. R. Štefánik in Košice. By a government decree of 8 July 1952, the Technical University in Košice was established for the second time, and one of the first three faculties of this university was the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering called the Faculty of Heavy Engineering.
The establishment of the Technical University in Košice was stimulated mainly by the intentions of building a metallurgical base in eastern Slovakia. The industrialization of Slovakia in the branches of mechanical engineering, metallurgy, energy, mining and processing of raw materials required a large number of mechanical engineers. After one decade of existence, the faculty made a significant contribution to the establishment of the Faculty of Science of UPJŠ in Košice. She provided significant personalities for the establishment of today’s Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics and later for the establishment of the Faculty of Civil Engineering. When the Faculty of Professional Studies of the Technical University in Košice with its seat in Prešov was established, later renamed the Faculty of Production Technologies, a substantial part of the detached workplace of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering with its seat in Prešov passed to this faculty. The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering was also involved in the establishment of the Faculty of Economics, and a significant part of today’s Faculty of Arts is the former Department of Design, which moved from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.